Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Dark One

The Dark One is a (hopefully) short story [to be], inspired by a particularly mortifying dream I had one night. I did not think of turning it into a story; it was my father's idea. Although it is particularly frightful (or at least it was when I dreamt it!), after thinking about it now from a calmer state of mind, I think my Dad was right when he told me it would make for an interesting story-seed.

Here's what I have down thus far:


"I did not want to go anywhere near there. The day was dark and the air that surrounded me was cold and damp. It was well beyond me why nobody else reacted to this creature, but even though I did not know who or what it was; I knew immediately that it was nothing good.

From the shadows between outcrops of wall and in the reflections of the gritty, stirring puddles on the asphalt, I could see his toxic-green eyes glowing back at me with malicious intent. His presence followed me like a horrible shadow: dripping, dark, and ready to strike.

“I’m telling you, he’s following me!” I cried, panting, to my classmates up in the lounge. Those who bothered to listen at all had little sympathy to offer.

“There’s nobody following you, Nila.” Abram said to me. As much as I trusted him as a dear friend, I knew my senses weren’t lying to me either, and my ego got the better of me.

“Maybe not now,” I murmured, staring off wide-eyed into the distance outside the window. “But He is waiting.”

“Who is He?”

“The Dark One.” I whispered, cringing within just to hear the words that described him. “He is everything in shadows and water, creeping vines and puddles of rain.”

Abram looked around the mostly-empty hall, frowned, and shrugged. “I haven’t seen anyone... or anything... too unusual.” He looked outside. “Besides, the sky is clear and the sun is out – not a cloud in sight.”

I glanced out the window.

The skies were gray – Dark Gray – and the wind blew fiercely, tugging mercilessly at the supple branches and leaves of the trees in the courtyard. No blue sky in sight.

“Come on, Nila,” he said. “It’s time for gym class.”

I whirled back around and stared blankly at him like a deer in headlights. “Gym class?” I squeaked.

He raised an eyebrow. “Yeah; it’s third period.”

I shook my head. “I’m not going down there, Abe.”

“You can’t be serious…Ni.”

I crossed my arms firmly over my chest and stood there, not willing to budge for the world.

Abram grabbed my arm abruptly and tugged me along with a yelp; “Come on.” "


** Note: I have changed the names of the people in my dream for the story in order to avoid any awkwardness or other "social setbacks". ... Just in case you were curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment